Thursday, April 4, 2013

Origami History (or Folded Tongues) (3/30)


My last name is an origami crane
and American tongues can’t fold
into those sounds, so I’ve given
up on caring when people shred
the syllables of my name into
confetti, to celebrate ‘murica
because Yasuoka, You-sucka,
Yuh-soka, Yuh-soko
Yaki-soba, Yasuaka, Ya-so-k
It’s all the same in my melting
pot ears. And there are more
important shredders to be
worried about. My grandfather

was three years old those paper
planes flew over his birthday party
on their way to unfold battle ships
he was never in an internment camp
but he told me he remembered
visiting one. Yet, my AP US
History textbook lies, Everystate
except for Hawaii hadinternment camps
This is not true. Hawaii had internment
camps they were just crumpled up
and forgotten under the weeds of time
and all that’s left of and my textbook
folds fifty states of suffering into a single
sentence. They took people with origami
names like mine and folded them into
horse stables, surrounded by barbed
wire that metal origami. Today, we have
crumpled them up and tossed them into
the waste basket of history along with
the rest of the Japanese suffering.

I am sitting on my uncle John’s porch
and his mother tells me about growing
up in Japan during the war, she was
in high school when it looked like America
would invade the teacher led her class
into the forest, they had no lead, so they
told them to turn bamboo into spears
and that they were expected to tear
one American soldier from the history
books, before their bodies folded into
corpses. Their homes were made of rice paper
so when we firebombed Japan
Tokyo looked like a lantern.

You see, war always starts with the paper
work, paper bullets, propaganda, passports,
draft cards, lists of names. We are paperwork

Human beings are origami cranes trying
to fold ourselves a thousand times
so that our wishes can come true
but the scissors of war cut us into snowflakes

and our tongues still can’t fold themselves
into our neighbors names so they learn
to tear their syllables apart. I don’t care
when people mispronounce my name
what I do care about, is how our tongues
refuse to speak about those camps.
How the onion is the only place to cover
the anniversary and Manzanar is folded
into nature photographs. Our tongues
are scissors. Silence is a string.

My grandmother is too young to remember
the day the war started, at six month old
if I have a grandson. The silence may be too
old for him too remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment